NEW Year’s resolutions I’m not resolute about them.
In fact, most years, their mere mention fills me with guilt as I reflect on another year slipping by without a new one set.
That said, I did make one a decade ago that surpasses all others and arguably makes up for any long broken.
At midnight, literally, on December 31, 2000, in a nightclub in London, I gave up smoking. Just like that (though with a little help from Allen Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking in the weeks beforehand), and I haven’t had so much as a puff of a cigarette since.
Indeed, I am part of the painful reformed smoker brigade who baulks at any hint of smoke in the air and considers passive smoking an assault on free air. So, there I am, torn between loving and loathing resolutions.
But, having quizzed a few high-profile Coasties about theirs, I realise I’m not alone. Here’s what a few others on the Coast had to say about their 2011 resolve.
David Williamson, one of Australia’s most successful playwrights and Sunshine Beach resident:
My New Year’s resolution is always the same. To slow down, smell the roses, spend more time with my beautiful wife and interesting children and sometimes I do get some way towards this ambition, but next year it’s about as likely as Tony Abbott saying something nice about Julia Gillard.
Next year it’s my 40th year as a playwright and three new plays of mine are opening in Sydney, one of them, At Any Cost, will be seen here in a preview production at the Noosa Longweekend. So very little rose smelling but frankly, for a playwright, I’d be churlish to complain.
It’s going to be very hectic but three plays is a hell of a lot better than none, as I love the theatre and the whole process of rewriting, rehearsals, previews and finally opening nights.
If a play works it’s an incredible buzz to sit in an audience who are connecting with it.
It’s what I do it for, not the money.
So in short I know already this year’s New Year resolution is going to be broken almost immediately, but there’s always 2012.
Jacinta Richmond, Sunshine Coast Fashion Festival founder:
My New Year’s resolutions are many, but if I only manage to keep a few, these are those:
1. Work smarter much, much, much smarter.
2. Jump on a plane and just go. In 2010, my daughter and I jumped on a plane and headed to Vanuatu to drink pina coladas, (virgin coladas for her), at the swim-up pool bar and snorkel the reefs. I had forgotten how important packing a suitcase at the last minute and jumping on a plane somewhere is to my psyche. It keeps me balanced, alive and reinstates my thirst for experience.
3. To wear Mickey Mouse ears the whole time I am at Disneyland with my daughter for her 10th birthday in 2011.
Carolyn Популярный of KoalaDiaries.com.au and Noosa Heads resident:
My resolutions are:
To improve fitness (this seems to be a recurring theme every year ... ``peak’’ fitness is still eluding me)
To live more ``in the moment’’ with life being so busy it’s sometimes a challenge to enjoy the here and now and not worry about ``what do I have to do next?’‘
Ashley Robinson, Island Charity Swim co-founder, manager of the Alex Surf Club and Kawana resident:
It is actually more the people that share my environment, to learn to take a deep breath, engage my brain before I open my mouth, I would also like to lose 10 kilos by June 30 without cutting a limb off.
For the record, I am pretty sure I can do the latter, not positive about the former.
Happy New Year.

No comments:
Post a Comment