Charlie Musselwhite, 67, spends the vast majority of his time on the road. "My wife said I was home 30 days last year," he says. His headlining show at FestivALL's Blues, Brews and BBQ comes after a three-week tour in Europe.
Feel free to raise a glass to veteran bluesman Charlie Musselwhite, the headliner for Friday night's Blues, Brews & BBQ event at the University of Charleston.
No need to offer him a beer. Musselwhite gave that up years ago. He also quit smoking, a habit that at times had him burning through several packs a day.
The singer, songwriter and harmonica player is matter-of-fact about both, saying he lost interest in smoking and knew he had a problem with alcohol. He tossed both booze and cigarettes on his own and hasn't looked back.
"I went to some meetings, AA meetings, but I never participated. I didn't like talking; I just like hearing people's stories," he said.
Born in Mississippi and raised in Tennessee, Musselwhite began his career in Chicago, hanging out in blues clubs with the likes of Muddy Waters and Sonny Boy Williamson.
He now makes his home — for the little time he's there — in Sonoma County, Calif.
"I'm the only musician in history who moved to wine country and quit drinking," Musselwhite cracks.
He's hardly there, anyway. Musselwhite is a legendary road warrior, criss-crossing the country and beyond to play, including a three-week trip to Europe before his stop in Charleston.
"I kind of don't like to count them," he said of his gigs. "My wife said I was home 30 days last year. She goes with me if it's interesting. She doesn't go to Detroit. She'll go to Rio."
But Musselwhite doesn't know any other way than hitting the road to tell his stories in song. When he's not playing his own shows, Musselwhite has stayed busy as guest artist on many recordings. He has played with Bonnie Raitt, the Blind Boys of Alabama, John Lee Hooker, Tom Waits and even Cyndi Lauper.
"Every day you're not working is costing you money," he said.
He constantly has ideas for songs.
"I've got bags and boxes of napkins and stuff with little notes jotted on them," he said. "If I do need a song, I'll dump those out and go through them. Sometimes some of them seem like they go together. A lot of times they'll evolve into something else and will have very little to do with the original note — it seems like they want to go a certain way."
Contact writer Monica Orosz at mon...@dailymail.com or 304-348-4830.
Feel free to raise a glass to veteran bluesman Charlie Musselwhite, the headliner for Friday night's Blues, Brews & BBQ event at the University of Charleston.
No need to offer him a beer. Musselwhite gave that up years ago. He also quit smoking, a habit that at times had him burning through several packs a day.
The singer, songwriter and harmonica player is matter-of-fact about both, saying he lost interest in smoking and knew he had a problem with alcohol. He tossed both booze and cigarettes on his own and hasn't looked back.
"I went to some meetings, AA meetings, but I never participated. I didn't like talking; I just like hearing people's stories," he said.
Born in Mississippi and raised in Tennessee, Musselwhite began his career in Chicago, hanging out in blues clubs with the likes of Muddy Waters and Sonny Boy Williamson.
He now makes his home — for the little time he's there — in Sonoma County, Calif.
"I'm the only musician in history who moved to wine country and quit drinking," Musselwhite cracks.
He's hardly there, anyway. Musselwhite is a legendary road warrior, criss-crossing the country and beyond to play, including a three-week trip to Europe before his stop in Charleston.
"I kind of don't like to count them," he said of his gigs. "My wife said I was home 30 days last year. She goes with me if it's interesting. She doesn't go to Detroit. She'll go to Rio."
But Musselwhite doesn't know any other way than hitting the road to tell his stories in song. When he's not playing his own shows, Musselwhite has stayed busy as guest artist on many recordings. He has played with Bonnie Raitt, the Blind Boys of Alabama, John Lee Hooker, Tom Waits and even Cyndi Lauper.
"Every day you're not working is costing you money," he said.
He constantly has ideas for songs.
"I've got bags and boxes of napkins and stuff with little notes jotted on them," he said. "If I do need a song, I'll dump those out and go through them. Sometimes some of them seem like they go together. A lot of times they'll evolve into something else and will have very little to do with the original note — it seems like they want to go a certain way."
Contact writer Monica Orosz at mon...@dailymail.com or 304-348-4830.

No comments:
Post a Comment